Day 2: 20 Facts About You
1. I have arachnophobia. However- instead of running from spiders- I want to see them set on fire, or squished, or stabbed, or shot… basically anything to make sure they are dead. If I absolutely MUST do any of the above myself- I will reluctantly do so. But I usually make the Hubby do it.
2. I hate clowns and mimes. Seriously, just- no. I’ve never found any of them entertaining or pleasant. And if you clown/mime (can I use that as a verb?) as your day job or in your spare time- please don’t come up to me in uniform. I get violent.
(And yes, I understand that they perform VALUABLE services to entertain children, and I wholeheartedly agree that they should. Just don’t interact with ME and we’ll be okay.)
3. I have acrophobia. Which is not exactly accurate. I don’t exactly fear heights. I have no problems being in high spaces, or even looking down on the ant-sized people population. What I DO have a problem with is falling down and going splat. Specifically the SPLAT part.
4. I hate the window seat in airplanes. I think it’s part of the acrophobia, but I’d rather have the aisle seat. Mainly because the flight attendants MAKE YOU raise the window shade before you land. And I can’t watch the plane land. It makes me nauseated. But there’s really nowhere else to look, if you’re the window seat.
5. I have claustrophobia. I can deal with large crowds, or even crowded elevators, but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel like I want to climb the walls. I like breathing room, and the only person I want in my little personal space bubble is my Hubby. And it took me awhile to get used to HIM being there. As a result- I will not go to any Standing Room Only concerts. I can’t take those.
6. My most favorite food in the whole wide world is… funnel cakes. That’s right- all of you people who know how much I love ice cream will be surprised to know that ice cream is actually SECOND on the list. The difference is that I only get funnel cakes once or twice a year, so my love remains pure and untainted.
7. I participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) every year, since 2005. I still haven’t produced anything that I feel has enough merit to continue tinkering with it, but that will come in time. For now- I just like to get the creative juices flowing and seeing what comes of it.
8. I love to bake. I taught myself in high school, when I had the grand idea to bake a traditional German cake (Bienenstich Kuchen) for a German competition. Before that- I had resisted all attempts from my Grammy to get me in the kitchen. It just didn’t seem worth it, before. Once I made that cake, though- I was smitten. But only with baking.
9. I like plants, but I don’t exactly have a green thumb. My first real foray into keeping something alive happened rather accidentally. I had a lucky bamboo plant that I think I bought on a whim, and I took it into the office, in an effort to not kill it. (Hey- I’m at work five days a week- at least it’ll get watered and have a little attention during those five days.) Turns out- that was it’s IDEAL environment. Something about the fluorescent lighting, and all the talking on the phone, and that thing GREW! It was a good four feet tall. Whenever I needed tech support, I just told the tech to come to the second floor and find the TREE.
I don’t have my Grammy’s I-can-keep-anything-alive skills, but I’m not doing too badly. I have four tomato plants and an accidental onion that are currently thriving.
10. I wish I had a prehensile tail. Not the little numbs that some babies are born with, but a full on prehensile tail. Partly because I have horrible balance (and hand/eye coordination), but partly because I think it would be super cool. And I need a third hand-like appendage to hold and grab things.
11. I think I was supposed to be left-handed. I write and draw with my right hand, but I do almost everything else with my left.
12. I like most candy bars WITH peanuts, but I hate peanuts themselves. I even like chunky peanut butter, but I hate actual peanuts. It’s weird.
13. I don’t like bananas. It’s the texture, not the taste. I can eat banana-flavored things, or bananas baked IN things all day long, but I can’t actually eat a banana… except in a sundae. Then it’s covered with ice cream, and apparently that makes it all okay.
14. I can’t stand Nutella. I think it’s the cocoa in it- NOT the hazelnut.
15. I have a mint intolerance. It gives me heartburn. Whatever wintergreen is- I’m fine with it. But actual mint- no.
16. I don’t eat mushrooms, unless they are chopped fine. Again- it’s a texture thing.
17. I don’t like foods I can swallow without chewing (or at least melting it down in your mouth like ice cream). So… Jello… puddings…quinoa…cous cous… I don’t trust them.
18. I love cheese. Not the super smelly kind, but the others are fair game. Specifically I like most forms of cheddar, and pretty much any kind of fresh cheese.
19. I love to read books and to listen to audiobooks. And I love serial books like Harry Potter. The longer I can stay immersed in a world- the better. My favorite genres and Science Fiction and Fantasy, and I specifically love fairy tale retellings and dystopian novels.
20. And I saved this one for last. I don’t really like chocolate. Hot cocoa? Definitely. The occasional candy bar (usually with caramel, nuts, and nougat)? Sure. But straight chocolate on a regular basis? No, thank you.